Maryland field hockey celebrates its 1-0 win (via Zach Bland/Maryland Athletics)

No. 7 Maryland field hockey drops tight battle with No. 1 Iowa, 2-1

By Brandon Schwartzberg

No. 7 Maryland took on No. 1 Iowa at home in a high intensity conference affair Sunday afternoon. After a scoreless first half, the Hawkeyes jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the third, and after a goal from each side in the fourth, Iowa managed to hold on to win the game, 2-1. 

With the loss, Maryland dropped to 7-4, and 1-3 in the Big Ten. With the win, Iowa moved to 12-0, and 4-0 in conference play.

Maryland came out as the aggressor early on, as they pushed the ball well and tried to attack as much as possible. However, the stout Iowa defense allowed for nothing in the first quarter, as Maryland only managed to put up one shot. 

A nice diving stop by the Iowa goalkeeper Grace McGuire off the attempt from the Terps midfielder Kyler Greenwalt thwarted Maryland’s sole scoring opportunity in the opening quarter.

Iowa’s offense started out lackluster in the first quarter, as Maryland played excellent team defense to not even allow a Hawkeye shot. 

The first penalty corner for either side didn’t come until 6:46 left in the second quarter, when Iowa was awarded back-to-back penalty corners. Both corners were taken in by midfielder Maddy Murphy, but neither resulted in a goal. 

The first corner was shot by defender Anthe Nijziel, but a couple of deflections and a diving save by Noelle Frost knocked the ball away. The next corner was shot by midfielder Lokke Stribos, but her attempt was blocked by the Terps defense, and Maryland got the ball back still in a scoreless game.

Another string of penalty corners for Iowa came with just under four minutes left in quarter two. All corners were taken in by forward Annika Herbine, but a fantastic job from the Maryland defense kept the Hawkeyes off the board. 

Two shots came from Anthe Nijziel, another came from Lokke Stribos, and the final didn’t even result in a shot attempt. Excellent penalty corner defense from the Terps kept the game scoreless.

Maryland’s offense only put up one shot in the second quarter, without a penalty corner attempt in either of the first two quarters. The Terps entered halftime looking to find some type of rhythm on offense, hoping to put pressure on the Hawkeyes defense. 

The first 14 minutes of the third quarter weren’t much different from the first two quarters, as neither team managed to score their first goal, but a late goal in the quarter from Iowa put them up 1-0.

Maryland only put up two shots in the quarter, including their first penalty corner of the game. The corner was taken in by midfielder Bibi Donraadt, and was sent in to forward Hope Rose, but her firing attempt was blocked by the Hawkeyes defense, and Maryland was unable to convert on the golden opportunity to take the lead late in the third quarter. 

Iowa only attempted a single shot in the third quarter, but they sure did take advantage of it. With under 15 seconds left in the quarter, and the game looking as if it would remain scoreless entering the fourth, Iowa put up a shot, with the clock winding down, which wound up finding the back of the cage.  

The goal for Iowa came from midfielder Leah Zellner after a tip in from the left side, and the Hawkeyes bench and crowd went into a frenzy, realizing the impact of the lone goal of the game thus far.

Maryland was awarded a penalty corner early on in the fourth quarter, looking to get on the board and make it a brand new game. 

The corner for the Terps was taken in by midfielder Emma DeBerdine, and was sent directly to defender Riley Donnelly. Donnelly’s shot was fired directly into the cage, going right by the Iowa defense, and Maryland tied the game 1-1 to make it a brand new ballgame.

Just two minutes later, Iowa regained momentum and the lead. Iowa had numbers and took advantage, as Maddy Murphy shot a deflection from outside the circle right back into the cage to retake the lead for the Hawkeyes.

With under four minutes remaining in the fourth quarter, still down 2-1, Terps head coach Missy Meharg took out Frost to bring in an extra attacker for her offense. 

However, Maryland couldn’t muster another goal, and Iowa managed to hold on to their narrow 2-1 lead to win the game and remain undefeated.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.