Image courtesy of Zach Bland/Maryland Athletics

Maryland field hockey defeats Princeton in overtime thriller, 4-3

By Brandon Schwartzberg

With time dwindling down in overtime, it started to look as if a second overtime period would be coming. However, a dazzling goal from defender Maura Verleg after a rebound off of a penalty corner won the game for the Terps. 

No. 9 Maryland field hockey took on No. 17 Princeton in an intense back and forth top 25 matchup, with Maryland defeating Princeton by a final score of 4-3 in overtime. Maryland moved to 5-2 on the season with the win, while Princeton dropped to 2-4.

The first quarter of the game was a slow one, as it was scoreless up until two and a half minutes left in the quarter.

Princeton had an early opportunity with a penalty corner just 30 seconds into the game, but were unable to convert. The corner was taken in by forward Ali McCarthy, but a deflected shot by midfielder Sammy Popper was sent out of bounds to keep the game scoreless.

The first goal of the game came with 2:30 left in the first, on the second of the Terps’ back-to-back penalty corners. Both of which were taken in by forward Bibi Donraadt, and shot by forward Hope Rose, but excellent saves from the Tigers goalkeeper Robyn Thompson thwarted the shots from Rose. 

However, on the second corner, Donraadt was in the right place at the right time on the rebound, as she was there for the easy score to give the Terps a 1-0 lead.

With the Terps up 1-0, Princeton had a penalty corner opportunity with 1:55 left in the first. The shot from midfielder Hannah Davey off the corner inbound from McCarthy was saved by goalkeeper Noelle Frost. However, defender Claire Donovan was there off the rebound on the corner to fire it in and tie the game at one a piece.

The second quarter started tied 1-1, but Maryland retook the lead immediately in the quarter. With not even 15 seconds gone by in the second, a great defensive play by Margot Lawn led to an Emma DeBerdine goal, her second of the season, to give the Terps a 2-1 lead. 

The game got tied for the second time in as many quarters, after a goal from forward Grace Schulze. Maryland left their cage wide open, and the Tigers made sure to take advantage of that opportunity, as Schulze capitalized after the assist from midfielder Beth Yeager. 

The third quarter started out slow, similarly to the first quarter, as there was no score in the quarter until just under five minutes left in the quarter. 

Princeton was awarded a penalty corner after a replay review to confirm the original call on the field. Grace Schulze took it in, and the deflection off the corner was sent to forward Bridget Murphy, who fired it into the goal to give the Tigers a 3-2 lead, with an assist being credited to Beth Yeager, her second assist of the game. The goal from Schulze accounted for the only score of the quarter, as the Tigers entered the fourth quarter with the lead.

With the time dwindling down in the quarter, Maryland needed something on offense to keep the game going, and with just under five minutes left in regulation, midfielder Brooke DeBerdine rifled a shot into the bottom right corner of the cage to tie the game at 3. Brooke joined her sister Emma in scoring a goal in this one, and her first of the year could not have come at a better time for the Terps.

With the game going into overtime tied 3-3, the Terps appeared to have scored the game-winning goal after a shot from Bibi Donraadt was sent into the cage, but a replay review waved the goal off and kept the game going. 

Maryland played their second straight overtime game, but unlike the previous matchup with Penn State, this one went into the win column after the game-winner from Verleg. Princeton dropped their second overtime game of the season, still without a win in extra time.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.