Defender Nick Richardson dribbles past a Georgetown defender (via Zach Bland/Maryland Athletics)

Maryland Men’s soccer drops matchup with top-ranked Georgetown, 1-0

By Jack Parry

The stage was set from the jump at Shaw Field. Maryland Men’s soccer entered the Top 10 of the rankings this week after a win against Virginia at Audi Field. Georgetown came into the contest atop the nation’s leaderboards. A Top 10 matchup between undefeated squads, the 2018 national champions faced off against the 2019 national champions.

However a goal early in the match set the tone for the rest of the match, as the Terps lost to the Hoyas 1-0. Georghetown have now had the same scoreline in three straight.

Brayan Padilla and Jacen Russell Rowe both joined the attack to take on the mighty Georgetown.

However, despite the substitutions in attack, it was the opponents who struck first. Junior Stefan Stojanovic got on the board early as he struck a ball from Chris Hegardt in the sixth minute to put the home side up 1-0 early. 

The first half featured some brilliant performances on both sides as Georgetown goalkeeper communicated to his defense brilliantly, managing to thwart some interesting attacks from the Maryland attack. The man between the sticks for the number one ranked team in the nation was helped by his backline as the Terps only managed three shots, with only Jacen Russell Rowe getting a shot on target. 

The Hoyas had an attack that scorched the Terrapin’s tough skin, and it seemed like giving up only one goal was a blessing. Defenders didn’t help out goalkeeper Jamie Lowell as Georgetown managed 12 shots with four of them being on goal. The post managed to keep a couple out as well as the home side put on an offensive display which accurately represented the top team in the country.

Alex Nitzel came back into the fray in this game, returning to the lineup after picking up an injury against UMBC. The defender started his return by getting his name penciled into the referee’s book, as he picked up a quick yellow card in the 32nd minute.

Maryland tried to press the attack late in the second half, and they had chances that looked promising. A ball into Justin Gielen, who got a shot off of the post, which rickashayed to Brett St. Martin who slammed it into the goal. However the Hoyas’ lead would remain intact as an offside goal kept the score at 1-0 in the 43rd minute. 

The offside followed by a shot off of the post from Georgetown, and three more shots in the 44th minute. This flurry of shots capped off the end of a first half which made the energy of the game truly electric. Despite a psik up in pace, the score remained the same going into halftime.

Maryland started the second half with a few chances off of set pieces. However nothing came to fruition as the attack seemed to be allergic to providing a good final ball. 

Alex Nitzel had an erroneous error playing a ball into the Hoyas box and putting it on a platter for Polvara who missed, and then a second chance for Riviere who missed right in the 55th minute. An almost costly error as UMD almost went down 2-0 in the second half. 

The second half seemed like there was a drop in energy, but the Terps had some promising moments. One of those came in the 84th minute where Hunter George had a shot attempt after some fancy footwork, but it missed the goal as the shot went wide. 

Georgetown tried to end the game by keeping the ball near the corner flag, but Maryland was given one last attack for the game. Brayan Padilla tried playing a one two with Jacen Russell Rowe, but the ball was taken away. 

The Terps dropped to 4-1 as the number one team in the country looks dominant getting off a total of 21 shots in a 1-0 win at Shaw Field in Washington D.C. Maryland looks to bounce back after this loss as they face the University of Michigan on Friday, September 17th back home at Ludwig Field.