Maryland field hockey celebrates its 1-0 win (via Zach Bland/Maryland Athletics)

Maryland field hockey defeats UMass, 1-0

By Brandon Schwartzberg

College Park was the home to a defensive showcase Friday afternoon, with 10 saves combined from No. 7 Maryland field hockey and No. 21 UMass.

In the end, it was Maryland pulling out the close 1-0 win, moving to 3-1 on the year, while UMass suffered their first loss of the year, as they dropped to 4-1 on the season.

The first quarter was a defensive battle, with neither team able to get onto the board within the first 15 minutes. Maryland came out as the aggressive team early on, out-shooting the Minutewomen 7-0 in the quarter, but some good stops from the UMass defense kept the game scoreless.

The first penalty corner opportunity for the Terps came at the 12:57 mark of the first when Senior forward Bibi Donraadt took the corner in, but the shot for the Terps was deflected by UMass. 

With just over 6 minutes left in the first, the second penalty corner opportunity of the game for Maryland was taken in again by Bibi Donraadt, but once again, good defense by UMass forced a shot off the post.

The first shot of the second quarter came from graduate student midfielder Julianna Tornetta, but her shot was unable to connect for a goal. The deflection from the crowd at the post made its way to Margot Lawn, who passed the ball over to Riley Donnelly, whose shot flew into the goal to give the Terps a 1-0 lead.

During a 3 minute stretch in the second quarter, UMass had 5 penalty corner opportunities but was unable to connect on any of them. Their first chance came with 10:20 left in the quarter, but the shot was deflected away, and on the rebound, the shot from midfielder Georgie McTear was ripped up and wide past the goal. 

On each of the next two chances UMass had the ball sent in but were unable to connect on either instance. On their fourth penalty corner UMass had their shot deflected by the Maryland defense, and once again, on their fifth, they were unable to convert.

With just under two minutes left in the second quarter Maryland’s shot by Hope Rose was saved by the UMass goalkeeper Marlise Van Tonder, resulting in a 1-0 Terps lead at halftime.

The first penalty corner chance of the third quarter was awarded to Maryland, but the shot in was deflected and missed after good defense by the Minutewoman. 

Around the nine minute mark of the third Maryland had a golden fast break opportunity with Hope Rose taking the ball up in transition, but some excellent recovery defense by UMass forced the ball to be swung back around and reset as the Terps couldn’t convert on the great chance they had.

Maryland thought they had another penalty corner opportunity at the 5:28 mark in the third, but the refs went to replay review as they were uncertain about the call. The play ended up being overturned, so the Terps were not awarded with a penalty corner, and UMass was given the ball back.

With under three minutes to go in the third quarter, Maryland had three shot attempts in a span of a minute, but none of which were able to help the Terps tack on to their slim 1-0 lead. The first shot came from midfielder Emma DeBerdine, but a great save by Marlise Van Tonder kept the lead 1-0. 

Right after came a shot from Margot Lawn, but her rip flew wide past the goal. Bibi Donraadt added another shot attempt during the span, but once again Marlise Van Tonder saved it for UMass.

The fourth quarter started out with a 1-0 Maryland lead, and early on Maryland tried to change that. With just over five minutes into the quarter Julianna Tornetta was able to award the Terps with a penalty corner. Bibi Donraadt took it in, and the Terps set it, shot it, but were unable to score as the shot was deflected over the cage.

The fourth quarter was a turnover heavy one, as both teams seemed desperate to score. The Terps looked to add on to their slim lead, while the Minutewoman looked to get onto the scoreboard and tie the game.

With just under 7 minutes left in the game, the Terps were awarded with another penalty corner but were unable to convert. Bibi Donraadt took it in, and the ball got set for a Riley Donnelly shot but the shot got deflected out. Maryland was given another penalty corner after video review, but a phenomenal save from Marlise Van Tonder kept the deficit at one for UMass. 

The first penalty corner of the second half for UMass came at the 5:29 mark of the fourth, but their shot missed wide after being set after being sent in.

With just under three minutes left in the game head coach of the Minutewomen Barb Weinberg decided to take out her goalie, looking for more offense. However, Maryland was able to chew time off of the clock and hold on to a close 1-0 win.