The Terps celebrate a goal against the Notre Dame defense earlier this season. (Joel Valley/The Left Bench)

Terps upset in overtime by No. 17 Fighting Irish

The Maryland Terrapins men’s lacrosse team, after starting off the season with five wins in a row, lost a back-and-forth affair while on the road to the Notre Dame Fighting Irish 14-13 on Sunday. The No. 2 Terrapins were unable to complete their late comeback-bid as Notre Dame’s Brian Willetts scored the game-winner for the Irish.

The Irish, who were coming off a disappointing loss to the Richmond Spiders on Feb. 23, saw this challenging game against Maryland as a stepping stone for the remainder of their season. Only playing two games prior to their matchup with the Terps, the Irish were still working out some early changes to their roster.

The game at Arlotta Stadium began unlike the prior five games Maryland has competed in, as the offense came out with firepower usually shown late in games. The Terps scored four of the game’s first five goals as Louis Dubick, Kyle Long, Bubba Fairman and Logan Wisnauskas all started the Terps off on the scoresheet.

Notre Dame would respond, however, scoring the next four goals and taking its first lead of the game in the early stages of the second quarter. Led by their junior superstar Willetts, Notre Dame’s offense was clicking throughout the entirety of the second quarter. Heading into halftime, the Terps trailed by a score of 7-5.

Maryland head coach John Tillman’s halftime speech must have been a good one as Maryland began the second half immediately tying the score at seven just about three minutes into the third. Senior midfielder Will Snider scored both of these two goals shifting the momentum for the time being.

Notre Dame’s balanced scoring attack and tremendous passing would not go unnoticed on the scoreboard as the Irish tallied the next four scores to put a quick end to that Maryland second-half momentum. Connor Morin and Brendan Gleason were the main scoring weapons for the Irish during this stretch run.

Now trailing 11-7, the Terps were now searching once again for any sort of momentum to help their comeback efforts. Will Snider completed his hat trick in the third quarter to bring the deficit back to three. Jared Bernhardt and Logan Wisnauskas, the two most explosive offensive weapons that the Terps have, combined for the game’s next three goals tying the game at 11.

Maryland, now looking for its first lead since the first quarter, would have to wait even longer after Gleason scored two goals to propel Notre Dame ahead 13-11.

Trailing by two with three minutes left in the game, Logan Wisnauskas completed a hat trick of his own to get within one goal with 2:22 left in the game. With 16 seconds left in the final quarter, sophomore Anthony DeMaio scored a clutch goal to force overtime.

In overtime, Willetts put his finishing touches on the Terps, giving the Terps their first loss of the season and reviving Notre Dame’s season.

Maryland will face another test next Saturday against the Albany Great Danes.