This season-ending knee injury marks the second in as many years for Kasim Hill. (Sarah Sopher/The Left Bench)

Kasim Hill to miss remainder of season with knee injury

This story has been updated.

Quarterback Kasim Hill will miss the rest of the season with a torn left ACL, interim head coach Matt Canada announced Tuesday afternoon.

Hill suffered the injury in the second quarter of Maryland’s 34-32 loss at Indiana last Saturday. He was scrambling to his left when he was tackled by an Indiana defender. Hill appeared to turn his left leg awkwardly and was attended to by Maryland’s training staff before walking off on his own power. He never returned to the game and was wearing street clothes at the beginning of the second half.

“Certainly a very, very hard situation for him and his family,” Canada said, “but he’ll be back and he’ll be stronger and he’ll have two really, really strong knees. But [it was] a freak play and a really disappointing play.”

Hill posted on Instagram Sunday, likely alluding to the injury.

Redshirt sophomore Tyrrell Pigrome came in relief of Hill and provided a spark for Maryland’s often absent passing offense. Entering last Saturday’s game, the Terrapins were averaging 131 passing yards. Pigrome completed 10 of 13 passes for 146 yards and one touchdown in a little more than one half of game action.

This injury marks the second season-ending knee injury for Hill in as many years. Last season, Hill came off the bench for Pigrome, who tore his ACL in Maryland’s season opener at Texas.

Hill played exceptionally well last season in his limited showing, completing 85 percent of his passes and throwing two touchdowns to zero interceptions before tearing his ACL in his right knee against UCF last September. He rehabbed the injury and was ready for the first day of preseason practice in August, along with Pigrome.

Canada named Hill and Pigrome co-starters at the beginning of the season, but Hill started in Maryland’s season-opening upset of then-No. 23 Texas, going 17-of-29 with 222 yards and one touchdown. Since then, it’s been an up-and-down season for Hill. The former 4-star recruit completed just 49 percent of his passes for 1,083 yards, nine touchdowns and four interceptions in Canada’s run-heavy offense.

Hill wore a brace on his right knee during practices and games, and while he denied it affecting his play, Hill never looked comfortable moving around in the pocket and was hesitant to scramble. He often missed routine throws or held on to the ball for too long, which led to sacks.

“I think [Hill] was progressing,” Canada said. “We had a couple games we threw the ball pretty well. There were a couple games we didn’t play as well as we wanted to. I think mentally and reading the defense, those things were coming. I think he was understanding that.

“I think leading the football team, he plays with great passion. I think harnessing that the right way was a process for him too. You’ve got to be the quarterback and you see that in the way he plays and how hard he plays and obviously wanting to run and all those things. So Kasim has a bright future ahead of him.”

Pigrome will start for the Terrapins this Saturday against No. 9 Ohio State in Maryland’s final home game of the season. Sitting at five wins, Maryland will have to beat the Buckeyes or Penn State on Nov. 24 to secure a sixth win and become bowl eligible.

Daniel Oyefusi

Daniel Oyefusi is a senior in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland, College Park. He is majoring in Multiplatform Journalism and minoring in Law and Society. This fall, he covered Maryland football for The Left Bench, a student-run campus publication. This past summer, Daniel worked as an intern at TMZ, specifically assisting in the TMZ Sports department. He has written for other publications, including Terp Magazine and The Diamondback, the university's student-run newspaper. He is also president of the Maryland Association of Black Journalists and Vice President of Media and Web Content for the UMD Sports Business Society.
About Daniel Oyefusi 90 Articles