The Terps run onto the field for the homecoming game against Rutgers on Oct. 13. (Sarah Sopher/ The Left Bench)

Maryland offense stumbles on road, shut out 23-0 at No. 19 Iowa

Coming into Maryland’s Big Ten matchup against No. 19 Iowa, the likely defensive game plan would have been to contain quarterback Nate Stanley. The junior threw six touchdowns in a 42-16 victory over Indiana last week and had thrown 15 touchdowns this season.

But with swirling winds of up to 45 yards at Kinnick Stadium, Iowa (6-1, 3-1) committed to a run-first approach, rushing 52 times for 224 yards in a 23-0 shutout of Maryland (4-3, 2-2). All four of Iowa’s offensive scoring drives took at least 10 plays to unfold.

The Terrapins only gained 115 yards on offense and had 46 yards at halftime. Running back Ty Johnson, who last week became the fourth player in Maryland history to amass 4,000 all-purpose yards, only received six touches for 17 yards.

Maryland’s defense was on the field for almost 23 minutes in the first half, but held Iowa to two short field goals on their first three drives of the game. Linebacker Tre Watson intercepted Stanley on the Iowa’s first drive as the Hawkeyes were moving into Maryland territory.

But a Maryland offense that couldn’t move the ball downfield, a recurring issue for the the team when it has played on the road, forced the defense back on the field. Quarterback Kasim Hill was intercepted by safety Amani Hooker in the second quarter; Hill stared down his target, Hooker jumped the route, picked off the pass and returned it to the Iowa 47.

Iowa took advantage of the turnover before the half ended, completing a 17-play, 72-yard touchdown drive in nine minutes; Stanley threw a 10-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Brandon Smith, who beat Tino Ellis on a fade route, to extend the score to 13-0.

Maryland’s defense continued to hold up in the second half, limiting Iowa to another field goal on its first drive of the second half. But offensive miscues prevented the Terrapins from mounting a comeback.

Quarterback Tyrrell Pigrome took a snap from under center, but bumped into a motioning Brian Cobbs, and fumbled the ball. Pigrome kicked the ball into the end zone while trying to recover it, and defensive end Anthony Nelson jumped on it to give Iowa a 23-0 lead.

After throwing a career-high three touchdowns last week, Hill went 6-of-15 for 47 yards and one interception.

Maryland returns to College Park to play Illinois next Saturday. Kick off is set for 3:30 p.m.

Daniel Oyefusi

Daniel Oyefusi is a senior in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland, College Park. He is majoring in Multiplatform Journalism and minoring in Law and Society. This fall, he covered Maryland football for The Left Bench, a student-run campus publication. This past summer, Daniel worked as an intern at TMZ, specifically assisting in the TMZ Sports department. He has written for other publications, including Terp Magazine and The Diamondback, the university's student-run newspaper. He is also president of the Maryland Association of Black Journalists and Vice President of Media and Web Content for the UMD Sports Business Society.
About Daniel Oyefusi 90 Articles