Running back Ty Johnson records a 65-yard rushing touchdown in the first quarter of Maryland's 34-7 win over Rutgers on Oct. 13, 2018. The rush gave Johnson 4,000 all-purpose yards in his Maryland career, only the fourth player to achieve the feat. (Sarah Sopher/The Left Bench)

Ty Johnson reaches 4k all-purpose yards, Maryland routs Rutgers on Homecoming, 34-7

This story has been updated.

As he has done so many times in his Maryland career, running back Ty Johnson took a handoff for an off-tackle run, bounced it to the outside and made it to the second level of the defense.

This time around, he outraced the Rutgers defense in the first quarter for a 65-yard touchdown, giving Maryland a 7-0 lead.

The run made Johnson the fourth player in Maryland history to amass 4,000 all-purpose yards and opened up Maryland’s offense, as they blew out Rutgers, 34-7, on Homecoming.

Johnson finished the game with 132 rushing yards on nine carries.

“I don’t really pay attention to it all that much,” Johnson said of reaching 4,000 all-purpose yards. “My mom is really the one that pays attention to stuff like that. I just go in, ready to play the game. That stuff doesn’t mean anything to me- I mean, it means something. But as of right now, we had a great win as a team.”

Quarterback Kasim Hill also had a career day, throwing three touchdown passes after completing 50 percent of his passes and throwing an interception against Michigan last week.

The game was filled with Rutgers miscues and Maryland taking advantage of those mistakes; Rutgers quarterbacks threw five interceptions in the game, the most picks by a Maryland defense since 1998.

Following Johnson’s score, placekicker Joseph Petrino launched a short kickoff to Rutgers. It landed in a dead zone between the Scarlet Knights’ return unit and nobody corralled the ball. Linebacker Chance Campbell scooped the ball up deep in Rutgers territory and returned it to the 23-yard line.

Maryland’s offense went three-and-out, but Petrino hit a 39-yard field goal as time expired in the first quarter to give the Terrapins a 10-0 lead into the second quarter.

On Rutgers’ next possession, safety Darnell Savage, Jr. intercepted a pass from quarterback Artur Sitkowski at the Rutgers 35-yard line. Savage read Sitkowski’s eyes and jumped the route, crashing into a Rutgers receiver but still managing to hold onto the ball.

Six plays later, Hill threw a 23-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Taivon Jacobs for a 17-0 lead. Hill rolled to his right and found Jacobs, who was streaking across the field and separated from two Rutgers defenders.

After a Rutgers punt, Hill threw a 20-yard touchdown pass to running back Tayon Fleet-Davis to extend the lead to 24-0. Fleet-Davis was making his way across the field when Hill motioned for Fleet-Davis to cut upfield, and Hill landed the pass over the head of a Rutgers defender in coverage.

Tyrrell Pigrome replaced Hill for the team’s first drive of the second half. Back-to-back runs from running back Anthony McFarland and Pigrome, of 31 and 27 yards, respectively, set up Maryland in Rutgers territory. The drive stalled inside the 10-yard line but a 23-yard field goal from Petrino increased the lead to 27.

On the following drive, cornerback Tino Ellis intercepted Sitkowski’s pass and returned it along Maryland’s sideline to the Rutgers 11. Three plays later, Hill threw an 8-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Jeshaun Jones in the back left corner of the end zone for a 34-0 lead.

Sitkowski threw another interception, his fourth of the game, on back-to-back drives, as Savage picked him off for the second time. Maryland’s defense held Rutgers to eight passing yards and 179 total yards.

A late 1-yard touchdown run from running back Isaih Pacheco cleared Rutgers of a shutout.

Maryland heads to Iowa next Saturday to play the Hawkeyes. Kickoff is set for noon.

Daniel Oyefusi

Daniel Oyefusi is a senior in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland, College Park. He is majoring in Multiplatform Journalism and minoring in Law and Society. This fall, he covered Maryland football for The Left Bench, a student-run campus publication. This past summer, Daniel worked as an intern at TMZ, specifically assisting in the TMZ Sports department. He has written for other publications, including Terp Magazine and The Diamondback, the university's student-run newspaper. He is also president of the Maryland Association of Black Journalists and Vice President of Media and Web Content for the UMD Sports Business Society.
About Daniel Oyefusi 90 Articles