Tyrrell Pigrome rushes against Rutgers. (Sarah Sopher/The Left Bench)

Maryland hosts Rutgers for Homecoming

Maryland (3-2, 1-1) will host Rutgers (1-5, 0-3) Saturday for its Homecoming game. The Terps have won their last four Homecoming games; last season, Maryland defeated Indiana, 42-39.

After struggling against Michigan last week, the focus will be on whether Kasim Hill and the offense can find success again. The Maryland offense has been back-and-forth all season, producing uneven performances, specifically Hill. Since joining the Big Ten in 2014, Maryland has averaged 34.8 points per game against Rutgers. The Scarlet Knights are giving up 36.3 points per game this season, which ranks 109th in the country.

The Terrapin defense will have to play half of the game without a key starter, as inside linebacker Tre Watson will miss the first half of the game after being ejected in the second half of the Michigan game for targeting. The graduate transfer from Illinois led the team with 10 tackles, even though he left the game midway through the third quarter.

Redshirt freshman Ayinde Eley is listed on the team’s depth chart as Watson’s backup. Nickel back Antoine Brooks, Jr. could also see more time in the middle of the defense in the first half.

Redshirt sophomore Rayshad Lewis will also miss the first half of the game after being ejected for targeting in the second half of the Michigan game. Lewis had been filling in for Marcus Lewis, who missed the game with an undisclosed injury.

Kickoff is set for noon at Maryland Stadium.

Daniel Oyefusi

Daniel Oyefusi is a senior in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland, College Park. He is majoring in Multiplatform Journalism and minoring in Law and Society. This fall, he covered Maryland football for The Left Bench, a student-run campus publication. This past summer, Daniel worked as an intern at TMZ, specifically assisting in the TMZ Sports department. He has written for other publications, including Terp Magazine and The Diamondback, the university's student-run newspaper. He is also president of the Maryland Association of Black Journalists and Vice President of Media and Web Content for the UMD Sports Business Society.
About Daniel Oyefusi 90 Articles