Max Bortenschlager rolls out ready to throw the ball in Maryland's 42-39 win over Indiana. (Sarah Sopher/The Left Bench)

Maryland QB Max Bortenschlager out for season with ankle injury

Maryland third-string quarterback Max Bortenschlager will undergo season-ending ankle injury and miss the remainder of the season, a team spokesperson confirmed Wednesday to The Left Bench.

With the return of Kasim Hill and Tyrrell Pigrome from last year’s season-ending knee injuries, Bortenschlager’s spot moved back down on the depth chart, but he appeared in all four games as a holder on special teams.

Last season, the junior from Fishers, Indianapolis, played in 10 games and started eight, completing 51.9 percent of his passes and throwing 10 touchdowns to five interceptions.

The remaining quarterbacks on the roster are Legend Brumbaugh, Brian Clarkin and Brayden Hawkins.

Due to the NCAA’s new redshirt rule in college football, Bortenschlager will be able to preserve an additional year of eligibility after only appearing in four games this season.

Daniel Oyefusi

Daniel Oyefusi is a senior in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland, College Park. He is majoring in Multiplatform Journalism and minoring in Law and Society. This fall, he covered Maryland football for The Left Bench, a student-run campus publication. This past summer, Daniel worked as an intern at TMZ, specifically assisting in the TMZ Sports department. He has written for other publications, including Terp Magazine and The Diamondback, the university's student-run newspaper. He is also president of the Maryland Association of Black Journalists and Vice President of Media and Web Content for the UMD Sports Business Society.
About Daniel Oyefusi 88 Articles