Sophomore running back Lorenzo Harrison III (2) peels away from defenders in an attempt to avoid tackle during Maryland's 35-10 loss to Michigan. (Joel Valley/The Left Bench)

Maryland running back Lorenzo Harrison III out for year with knee injury

Maryland running back Lorenzo Harrison III will miss the remainder of the season after suffering a knee injury in practice Tuesday.

The junior from Hillcrest Heights, Maryland, announced the news on Instagram Tuesday night and will undergo surgery on Friday.

Harrison had missed the last two games with a hamstring injury. Following Maryland’s 42-13 win over Minnesota, interim head coach Matt Canada said Harrison was available to play, if needed.

Harrison rushed for 622 yards and three touchdowns as a sophomore. In two games this season, he rushed for for 84 yards and a touchdown on 10 carries.

Though Harrison’s presence will be missed, the Terps have other options in the backfield. Redshirt freshman Anthony McFarland has emerged in Harrison’s absence, rushing for 100 yards in back-to-back games. Maryland’s offense will lean more on McFarland and sophomore Tayon Fleet-Davis, in addition to senior Ty Johnson.

Junior Jake Funk has missed the last three games with a broken hand but Canada said Funk may return to practice following the team’s bye week.

Maryland heads to Ann Arbor to play No. 14 Michigan on Oct. 6 at noon.

Daniel Oyefusi

Daniel Oyefusi is a senior in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland, College Park. He is majoring in Multiplatform Journalism and minoring in Law and Society. This fall, he covered Maryland football for The Left Bench, a student-run campus publication. This past summer, Daniel worked as an intern at TMZ, specifically assisting in the TMZ Sports department. He has written for other publications, including Terp Magazine and The Diamondback, the university's student-run newspaper. He is also president of the Maryland Association of Black Journalists and Vice President of Media and Web Content for the UMD Sports Business Society.
About Daniel Oyefusi 88 Articles