Quarterback Kasim Hill is sacked and fumbles in a 35-14 loss to Temple. With starting offensive tackles Derwin Gray and Damian Prince out because of undisclosed injuries, Temple sacked Hill and Tyrrell Pigrome seven times.

Gray, Prince and Harrison all expected back for Maryland’s conference opener against Minnesota

Senior offensive tackles Derwin Gray and Damian Prince, as well as running back Lorenzo Harrison, are expected to be ready to play Saturday when Maryland opens up conference play with a home game against undefeated Minnesota.

Maryland played shorthanded against Temple last Saturday, a 35-14 defeat in which the Terrapins only amassed 195 total yards and didn’t put a single point on the scoreboard. Maryland’s points came from Darnell Savage Jr.’s pick-six and a blocked punt returned for a touchdown by defensive end Jesse Aniebonam.

Without Gray and Prince, redshirt freshman Anthony McFarland still had a career-high 107 yards on 11 carries. But quarterbacks Kasim Hill and Tyrrell Pigrome were sacked seven times and the two combined for just 63 passing yards.

Hill completed seven of his 17 passes attempts for 56 yards and an interception, the first of his college career. Temple returned the pick 78 yards for a touchdown and seemingly put the game away.

In his weekly news conference on Monday, interim head coach Matt Canada declined to give more information into the severity of the player’s injuries and instead took blame for the play of the team, an echo of his postgame comments.

“I’m not going to get into exactly what the injuries were,” Canada said. “All of them we’re hoping are going to be back this week. They’re all planning to be back this week. But a couple of them, we thought were going to be able to go and were kind of game-time decisions. So it’ll be very similar this week. Obviously we’re not in the business of making excuses.”

The only player who Canada said he doesn’t expect to suit up Saturday against the Gophers is Jake Funk. The junior back missed his second straight game last Saturday because of a broken hand he suffered in practice. Canada estimated that Funk may return to the field following the team’s bye week, which takes place after the Minnesota game.

With the team’s loss in its home opener in the rear view, and an undefeated conference opponent standing in front, Canada expressed confidence that the team will produce a better showing.

“I think you’ll see a different football team on Saturday, but we’re going to play a really, really good football team,” he said. “So we’ll see how that works out for us.”

Daniel Oyefusi

Daniel Oyefusi is a senior in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland, College Park. He is majoring in Multiplatform Journalism and minoring in Law and Society. This fall, he covered Maryland football for The Left Bench, a student-run campus publication. This past summer, Daniel worked as an intern at TMZ, specifically assisting in the TMZ Sports department. He has written for other publications, including Terp Magazine and The Diamondback, the university's student-run newspaper. He is also president of the Maryland Association of Black Journalists and Vice President of Media and Web Content for the UMD Sports Business Society.
About Daniel Oyefusi 90 Articles