Maryland senior Sean Christie (70) holds Jordan McNair's jersey to honor his late teammate. (Sarah Sopher/ The Left Bench)

Findings in investigation of Jordan McNair death to be released Sept. 21

The University System of Maryland Board of Regents will release findings on Sept. 21 from the Walters Inc.-led investigation into the death of Maryland offensive lineman Jordan McNair, according to a Wednesday press release.

McNair died on June 13 after collapsing from heatstroke at a May 29 offseason workout.

Following McNair’s death, the University of Maryland hired Dr. Rod Walters, a sports medicine consultant, to look into the actions and procedures taken by Maryland’s medical and training staff during the workout. On Aug. 17, the Board of Regents assumed responsibility of the investigation.

At an Aug. 14 press conference, University President Wallace Loh and Athletic Director Damon Evans shared preliminary results from the investigation, admitting to “misdiagnosis” by the training staff. Loh said the University accepts “moral and legal responsibility” for the death of McNair.

“The Board of Regents is committed to uncovering all the discoverable facts about Jordan McNair’s tragic death, and separately, the culture of the football program at the University of Maryland, College Park,” USM Board of Regents Chair James Brady said. “Once the Board has the facts, we are committed to sharing what we find with the people of Maryland, and to making whatever decisions might be necessary and appropriate to best support our students.”

The Walters Inc. review is the first of two investigations into the Maryland football program. A separate investigation into the culture of the program, led by an eight-person commission, was announced following an ESPN report alleging a “toxic culture.”

Daniel Oyefusi

Daniel Oyefusi is a senior in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland, College Park. He is majoring in Multiplatform Journalism and minoring in Law and Society. This fall, he covered Maryland football for The Left Bench, a student-run campus publication. This past summer, Daniel worked as an intern at TMZ, specifically assisting in the TMZ Sports department. He has written for other publications, including Terp Magazine and The Diamondback, the university's student-run newspaper. He is also president of the Maryland Association of Black Journalists and Vice President of Media and Web Content for the UMD Sports Business Society.
About Daniel Oyefusi 90 Articles