Maryland quarterback Kasim Hill (11) waits for the snap during the Terps' first game of the 2018 season. (Sarah Sopher/ The Left Bench)

Kasim Hill listed as starting quarterback for Bowling Green, but expect to see Tyrrell Pigrome too

Ahead of Maryland’s first true road test at Bowling Green on Saturday night, Kasim Hill is listed as the Terrapin’s starting quarterback.

However, like in the team’s win over Texas at FedEx Field last Saturday, Tyrrell Pigrome is expected to be rotated in on a few series.

Hill lined up under center to start the team’s first drive and led a six-play, 67-yard drive that ended in a 28-yard touchdown run from freshman wide receiver Jeshaun Jones. Hill started the next two drives, before being swapped for Pigrome. Hill started the second half, getting the brunt of the action, and finished the game.

“I definitely do anticipate (rotating the two),” interim head coach Matt Canada said Tuesday afternoon. “I thought both of them played well. Both of them did what we asked them to do. Both of them could have played better, both of them had a throw here and there that we could have done better.”

When Pigrome was inserted into the lineup, he was primarily used as a runner, picking up 12 yards on three attempts, but he also attempted four passes, completing three for 22 yards. Hill took a majority of the snaps in the second half, and got much more attempts to push the ball downfield. He finished the game completing 17 of 29 pass attempts for 222 yards and a touchdown, to go with 10 rushing yards on six attempts.

“I think they both add things to our football team, to our offense,” Canada said. “We’re going to play the best players and they’re both going to play.”

Daniel Oyefusi

Daniel Oyefusi is a senior in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland, College Park. He is majoring in Multiplatform Journalism and minoring in Law and Society. This fall, he covered Maryland football for The Left Bench, a student-run campus publication. This past summer, Daniel worked as an intern at TMZ, specifically assisting in the TMZ Sports department. He has written for other publications, including Terp Magazine and The Diamondback, the university's student-run newspaper. He is also president of the Maryland Association of Black Journalists and Vice President of Media and Web Content for the UMD Sports Business Society.
About Daniel Oyefusi 90 Articles