Interim head coach Matt Canada said he has decided on a starting quarterback for the team's season opener against Texas, but won't name it yet.

Maryland releases depth chart, lists Kasim Hill and Tyrrell Pigrome as co-starters

With only a few days until Maryland football starts their season at FedEx Field against No. 23 Texas on Saturday at noon, some uncertainty still remains over who will line up under center for the Terps.

The team released its first depth chart Tuesday afternoon, and quarterbacks Kasim Hill and Tyrrell Pigrome were listed as co-starters. However, interim head coach Matt Canada said he already knows who will start at quarterback on Saturday afternoon.

“I have decided on a starting quarterback, but we’re not going to discuss that today,” Canada said.

Hill and Pigrome were both rehabbing from season-ending knee injuries, but the two have responded well and were ready for the start of preseason practice in early August.

Both played well at Texas in the team’s 51-41 season-opening win last year; Pigrome completed nine of 12 attempts for 175 passing yards and two touchdowns before leaving the game due to a knee injury. Hill picked up right where Pigrome left off, completing all three of his pass attempts for 44 yards, including a crucial 40-yard completion to wide receiver DJ Moore on third-and-19 when the team was driving in the fourth quarter.

Here are the rest of the projected starters:

Offfense

Position Projected Starter
QB Kasim Hill or Tyrrell Pigrome
RB Ty Johnson or Lorenzo Harrison III
RB Tayon Fleet-Davis or Jake Funk
WR Taivon Jacobs
WR Jahrvis Davenport
WR DJ Turner
T Derwin Gray
G Sean Christie
C Johnny Jordan
G Brendan Moore
T Damian Prince
TE Avery Edwards
TE Chigoziem Okonkwo

Defense

Position Projected Starter
End Byron Cowart
Nose Adam McLean
Defensive Tackle Mbi Tanyi
Buck Jesse Aniebonam
Mike Isaiah Davis
Will Tre Watson
Nickel Antoine Brooks, Jr.
S Antwaine Richardson
S Darnell Savage, Jr.
CB Marcus Lewis
CB Tino Ellis
CB Ravon Davis

Specialists

Position Projected Starter
K Joseph Petrino
P Wade Lees

Daniel Oyefusi

Daniel Oyefusi is a senior in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland, College Park. He is majoring in Multiplatform Journalism and minoring in Law and Society. This fall, he covered Maryland football for The Left Bench, a student-run campus publication. This past summer, Daniel worked as an intern at TMZ, specifically assisting in the TMZ Sports department. He has written for other publications, including Terp Magazine and The Diamondback, the university's student-run newspaper. He is also president of the Maryland Association of Black Journalists and Vice President of Media and Web Content for the UMD Sports Business Society.
About Daniel Oyefusi 90 Articles