Terrapin sophomore Isaiah Davis (22) tackles Hoosier wide receiver Whop Philyor (22). Sarah Sopher/The Left Bench

Maryland Position Breakdown: Linebackers

Day 1: Quarterbacks Position Breakdown

Day 2: Running backs Position Breakdown

Day 3: Wide receivers Position Breakdown

Day 4: Tight ends Position Breakdown

Day 5: Offensive Line Position Breakdown | Defensive Line Breakdown

Returning Players: Nnamdi Egbuaba (Sr.), Bruce Miller (Sr.), Nick Underwood (R-Jr.), Steve Baca (Jr.), Isaiah Davis (Jr.), Brett Shepherd (Jr.), Ayinde Eley (R-Fr.)

Incoming Freshmen: Fa’Najae Gotay (listed on team site as an athlete, but played linebacker and running back in high school), Jordan Mosley, Ahmad McCullough, Durell Nchami, Nihym Anderson, Chance Campbell, Oladimeji Olayinka, David Brownlee

Transfers: Tre Watson (Sr., Illinois), Wyatt Cook (Sr., Purdue)

Jermaine Carter Jr., the heart and soul of Mayland’s defense, has graduated and is currently in training camp with the Carolina Panthers. His departure leaves a void at the linebacker position, specifically on the inside.

Luckily for the Terps, Tre Watson, a linebacker from Illinois, has transferred to the program and looks set to take Carter’s spot in the middle of the defense. Watson starred with the Fighting Illini for three years, recording 105 tackles and 2.5 sacks, before announcing his decision to transfer last November.

With Maryland often using a nickel-package defense, Isaiah Davis is the likely starter at the other linebacker slot. The junior from Temple Hills, Maryland, started nine games last season and recorded 70 tackles, which ranked third on the team.

Daniel Oyefusi

Daniel Oyefusi is a senior in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland, College Park. He is majoring in Multiplatform Journalism and minoring in Law and Society. This fall, he covered Maryland football for The Left Bench, a student-run campus publication. This past summer, Daniel worked as an intern at TMZ, specifically assisting in the TMZ Sports department. He has written for other publications, including Terp Magazine and The Diamondback, the university's student-run newspaper. He is also president of the Maryland Association of Black Journalists and Vice President of Media and Web Content for the UMD Sports Business Society.
About Daniel Oyefusi 88 Articles