Maryland junior Brett Kulka (96) rushes in to attempt to tackle Indiana quarterback Peyton Ramsey (3). Sarah Sopher/The Left Bench

Maryland Position Breakdown: Defensive Line

Day 1: Quarterbacks Position Breakdown

Day 2: Running backs Position Breakdown

Day 3: Wide receivers Position Breakdown

Day 4: Tight ends Position Breakdown

Returning Players: Celso Rivera (Sr.), Brett Kulka (Sr.), Mbi Tanyi (Sr.), Jesse Aniebonam (R-Sr.), Oseh Saine (Jr.), Adam McLean (Jr.), Keiron Howard (Jr.), Oluwaseun Oluwatimi (Jr.), Antonio DiCerbo (So.), Bryce Brand (So.), Brandon Gaddy (R-Fr.), Breyon Gaddy (R-Fr.), Lawtez Rogers (R-Fr.), B’Ahmad Miller (R-Fr.), Cam Spence (R-Fr.)

Incoming Freshmen: Austin Fontaine, Jalen Alexander, Cherokee Glasgow, Tyler Baylor

Transfers: Byron Cowart (Jr., Auburn)

If any position was really hurt by injury last year, it was the defensive line. After a nine-sack effort in the 2016 season, Jesse Aniebonam suffered a season-ending ankle injury in the team’s 2017 opener against Texas. Last season, Maryland’s defense recorded just 16 sacks, which was tied for second-fewest in the Big Ten. Aniebonam’s return to the field will surely be welcomed by a Terps defensive line that cannot be dominated in the trenches again if they expect to be competitive.

Something else that will be gladly received is the transfer of former Auburn Tiger Bryan Cowart. Cowart is a former five-star recruit who had minimal impact at Auburn before leaving the program last fall for Hillsborough Community College in Florida. He dominated in spring practice and should provide pass rush for a Maryland defense in desperate need of it.

With interior linemen Kingsley Opara and Cavon Walker graduating, Adam McLean, Mbi Tanyi, Brett Kulka and Oluwaseun Oluwatimi could all find themselves in the rotation.

Daniel Oyefusi

Daniel Oyefusi is a senior in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland, College Park. He is majoring in Multiplatform Journalism and minoring in Law and Society. This fall, he covered Maryland football for The Left Bench, a student-run campus publication. This past summer, Daniel worked as an intern at TMZ, specifically assisting in the TMZ Sports department. He has written for other publications, including Terp Magazine and The Diamondback, the university's student-run newspaper. He is also president of the Maryland Association of Black Journalists and Vice President of Media and Web Content for the UMD Sports Business Society.
About Daniel Oyefusi 88 Articles