Maryland senior tight end Avery Edwards reacts during a Sept. 19, 2015, game against USF. Photo courtesy of Maryland Athletics.

Maryland Position Breakdown: Tight ends

Day 1: Quarterbacks Position Breakdown

Day 2: Running backs Position Breakdown

Day 3: Wide receivers Position Breakdown

Returning Players: Zack Roski (So.), Robert Schwob (So.), Noah Barnes (So.), Avery Edwards (Sr.), Andrew Park (R-Fr.)

Incoming Freshmen: Chigoziem Okonkwo

Transfers: N/A

Zero. Zilch. Nada. That’s precisely the number of catches that Maryland’s tight ends recorded last year. Even with struggles at quarterback and a run-heavy offense, it’s hard to believe that not a single tight end reeled in a pass. With that being said, I’m willing to step out on a limb and say that won’t be the case this upcoming season.

With multiple walk-ons at the tight end position, one of the more intriguing options comes from freshman Chigoziem Okonkwo. A consensus three-star recruit from Powder Spring, Georgia, Okonkwo is a smaller player at his position but could be more of a factor as a receiver. Senior Avery Edwards got off to a promising start in his freshman year, leading Maryland tight ends in receptions, yards and touchdowns. But over the last two years, Edwards has served in a reserve role, seeing most of his playing time on special teams.

Regardless of who the Terps start, hopefully Matt Canada can utilize the position more this year and make the offense that much more difficult to defend.

Daniel Oyefusi

Daniel Oyefusi is a senior in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland, College Park. He is majoring in Multiplatform Journalism and minoring in Law and Society. This fall, he covered Maryland football for The Left Bench, a student-run campus publication. This past summer, Daniel worked as an intern at TMZ, specifically assisting in the TMZ Sports department. He has written for other publications, including Terp Magazine and The Diamondback, the university's student-run newspaper. He is also president of the Maryland Association of Black Journalists and Vice President of Media and Web Content for the UMD Sports Business Society.
About Daniel Oyefusi 90 Articles