Maryland running back Ty Johnson (6) sprints down the sideline to score a touchdown as the Terps top Towsin. Lila Bromberg/The Left Bench

Maryland Position Breakdown: Running backs

Day 1: Quarterbacks Position Breakdown

Returning Players: Lorenzo Harrison III (Jr.), Anthony McFarland (R-Fr.), Javon Leake

(So.), Ikechukwu Ogwuegbu (Jr.), Ty Johnson (Sr.), Tayon Fleet-Davis (So.), Jake Funk (Jr.)

Incoming Freshman: N/A

Transfers: N/A

Day 2 of the position breakdown leads us to one of Maryland’s strongest units, the running back position. As the team went through a laundry list of quarterbacks last year and the passing game struggled, the running game led the way for the offense. While the Terps were 4-4 in games in which the team rushed for over 100 yards, Maryland lost every game in which it failed to reach the century mark.

Lorenzo Harrison III and Ty Johnson are back, and that’s good news for the Terps, as the duo combined for almost 1500 yards and eight touchdowns last season. Johnson, who led the team with 875 yards and five touchdowns, was named a candidate for the Doak Walker Award, given to the nation’s top running back.

An interesting storyline to follow for the running game revolves around how new offensive coordinator Matt Canada incorporates Anthony McFarland into the rotation. McFarland, a 4-star recruit from DeMatha Catholic High School, started last season recovering from an injury but saw no game action, redshirting the season. However, he is just a year removed from being one of the most heavily recruited backs in the nation and the Terps should find a way to incorporate his skillset on the field.

Returning players like Leake, Ogwuegbu, Fleet-Davis and Funk will likely see most of their playing time contributing on special teams, though Funk has a knack for finding the end zone, recording seven touchdowns in limited action.

Daniel Oyefusi

Daniel Oyefusi is a senior in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland, College Park. He is majoring in Multiplatform Journalism and minoring in Law and Society. This fall, he covered Maryland football for The Left Bench, a student-run campus publication. This past summer, Daniel worked as an intern at TMZ, specifically assisting in the TMZ Sports department. He has written for other publications, including Terp Magazine and The Diamondback, the university's student-run newspaper. He is also president of the Maryland Association of Black Journalists and Vice President of Media and Web Content for the UMD Sports Business Society.
About Daniel Oyefusi 88 Articles