Courtesy of Maryland Athletics

Jordan McNair died from heatstroke, family announces on new foundation website

Maryland offensive lineman Jordan McNair’s death was “the result of a heatstroke he suffered during an organized offseason team workout,” according to a new website created by McNair’s family.

McNair died on June 13 after collapsing at an organized team workout on May 29. The university released details last week from an external review conducted by Walters, Inc., but did not release a cause of death.

Tony Wilson and Martin “Marty” McNair, McNair’s mother and father, launched The Jordan McNair Foundation, a non-profit organization whose mission is to “promote awareness, educate, and advocate for parents and student athletes about heat related illness at the youth, high school, and collegiate levels.”

The foundation is sponsoring multiple programs “aimed at community involvement and engagement,” which include a scholarship fund in McNair’s name.

According to a summary of events released by the university last week, “all players have resumed workouts and official practices will begin Aug. 3.”

Daniel Oyefusi

Daniel Oyefusi is a senior in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland, College Park. He is majoring in Multiplatform Journalism and minoring in Law and Society. This fall, he covered Maryland football for The Left Bench, a student-run campus publication. This past summer, Daniel worked as an intern at TMZ, specifically assisting in the TMZ Sports department. He has written for other publications, including Terp Magazine and The Diamondback, the university's student-run newspaper. He is also president of the Maryland Association of Black Journalists and Vice President of Media and Web Content for the UMD Sports Business Society.
About Daniel Oyefusi 90 Articles