Damon Evans named Maryland Athletic Director

The University of Maryland has named Damon Evans the school’s new Athletic Director.

The university released a statement Monday afternoon announcing the decision.

Evans had served as acting AD since April 2018, following Kevin Anderson’s resignation, and was reportedly one of three finalists interviewed for the position, along with Temple AD Patrick Kraft and former Tennessee AD John Currie.

“Throughout his tenure here, Damon has demonstrated visionary, transparent, compassionate and ethical leadership,” University of Maryland President Wallace D. Loh said in the statement. “The candidates invited for interviews had impressive credentials and accomplishments. In the end, a senior leadership search is not only about capabilities. It is also about institutional fit and interpersonal trust and chemistry. In Damon, the University​ of Maryland​ has the right person at the right time.”

The university hired Evans, who most recently served as Executive Athletic Director and Chief Financial Officer, in December 2014.

“It is a great honor to be chosen to lead at the University of Maryland,” Evans said in the statement. “Since the day I arrived, I have been inspired by the student-athletes, coaches and support team that strive for success in Maryland Athletics, and I look forward to many successes ahead in our Big Ten era. I’m guided by the principle that we learn from our wins and losses, and I am eager to lead an athletics department that ultimately achieves greatness together.”

Daniel Oyefusi

Daniel Oyefusi is a senior in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland, College Park. He is majoring in Multiplatform Journalism and minoring in Law and Society. This fall, he covered Maryland football for The Left Bench, a student-run campus publication. This past summer, Daniel worked as an intern at TMZ, specifically assisting in the TMZ Sports department. He has written for other publications, including Terp Magazine and The Diamondback, the university's student-run newspaper. He is also president of the Maryland Association of Black Journalists and Vice President of Media and Web Content for the UMD Sports Business Society.
About Daniel Oyefusi 88 Articles