Kevin Huerter (4) runs the ball as Michigan State junior Matt Mcquaid (20) guards him. (Sarah Sopher/The Left Bench)

Kevin Huerter becomes highest Maryland draft pick since 2013

The first round drought for Maryland basketball is over.

The Atlanta Hawks selected guard Kevin Huerter with the 19th pick in the 2018 NBA Draft Thursday night.

Huerter becomes the highest Terp selected since Alex Len was taken by the Phoenix Suns with the No. 5 pick in 2013.

It’s been a wild ride for Huerter, who initially declared for the NBA Draft in April without an agent, but elected to stay after performing well at the NBA Combine and reportedly receiving the promise of a first-round selection.

The New York native will be joined in the backcourt by Oklahoma point guard Trae Young, who the Hawks acquired after trading Slovenian guard Luka Doncic and a protected 2019 first-round pick.

Maryland fans will now wait to see what happens with forward Justin Jackson, who is a fringe second-round pick, according to draft projections.

Daniel Oyefusi

Daniel Oyefusi is a senior in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland, College Park. He is majoring in Multiplatform Journalism and minoring in Law and Society. This fall, he covered Maryland football for The Left Bench, a student-run campus publication. This past summer, Daniel worked as an intern at TMZ, specifically assisting in the TMZ Sports department. He has written for other publications, including Terp Magazine and The Diamondback, the university's student-run newspaper. He is also president of the Maryland Association of Black Journalists and Vice President of Media and Web Content for the UMD Sports Business Society.
About Daniel Oyefusi 88 Articles