File photo by Emily Morina/The Left Bench

No. 9 Maryland defeats Duke 3-2 to advance to NCAA Semifinals

After struggling to get on the board in the first half, the Terps scored two goals in the second half to secure a spot in the NCAA Semifinals with their 3-2 victory over the Duke Blue Devils.

The game started off in Duke’s favor, with junior forward Rose Tynan scoring the first goal of the game just 86 seconds in, backhanding a rebounded shot in past Maryland’s junior goalkeeper Sarah Holliday.

Then almost four minutes later the Blue Devils were awarded their first penalty corner of the game. However, the shot off the corner was deflected up and out of bounds by Terrapin freshman defender Hannah Bond.

Three minutes later, Maryland was awarded its own penalty corner. They were also unable to capitalize on the opportunity as sophomore defender Bodil Keus’ shot was blocked by a diving save from Duke’s redshirt sophomore goalkeeper Sammi Steele.

Ten minutes into the match the Blue Devils held possession, carrying the ball into the Terrapin zone. That fast break was smothered by a diving stop from Keus that gave possession back to Maryland.

Just over six minutes later, Duke senior forward Ashley Kristen trapped a pass in the Terrapin circle, but whiffed her shot, giving Maryland a chance to take back possession. A minute later the Blue Devils had another fast break opportunity, but were unable to capitalize and the Terps took back possession.

With 14 minutes left in the first half, Duke’s sophomore midfielder Margaux Paolino dribbled the ball through two Maryland defenders, her pass finding a fellow Blue Devil at the top of the circle. Holliday kicked away the subsequent shot and Terrapin junior forward Linnea Gonzales carried the ball out of the circle toward Duke’s zone.

A minute later Bond intercepted a Blue Devils’ pass, gaining possession for the Terps and sending the ball down the line to sophomore midfielder Madison Maguire.

Maguire wasn’t able to control the pass and knocked the ball out. However, she was able to take back possession, setting Maryland up for their first goal of the match. Maguire would pass the ball into the circle and freshman forward Kyler Greenwalt was able to get her stick on the ball, tipping it in past Steele.

At the end of the first half the Terps had two shots and the Blue Devils had four, with Holliday having made two saves and Steele having made only one.

Duke started the second half strong, with a goal coming from Kristen just over six minutes into the half. This meant Maryland needed to come out with more aggression, which they eventually did.

Less than a minute later the Blue Devils took two shots within 12 seconds.The first, coming from Tynan, was saved by Terrapin senior defender Carrie hanks. The second, a shot from Duke’s senior midfielder Alexa Mackintire, was saved by Holliday.

Three minutes later Maryland sophomore defender Kelee Lepage carried the ball into Duke’s circle, eventually finding Maguire whose shot was deflected out.

With eight minutes left in the game, Bond carried the ball into the Blue Devils’ circle but lost possession as the ball was stolen from her by a Duke defender.

Just under two minutes later, Keus scored off a pass from Lein Holsboer, tying the game 2-2.

Then, with just under five minutes left in the game, Maryland senior midfielder Lein Holsboer carried the ball into the circle, her pass finding Gonzales at the top of the circle who took the shot that gave the Terps their first lead of the game.

Duke was then awarded a penalty corner after a video review with just over a minute left in the game. The Blue Devils were unable to capitalize on the penalty corner and the Terps cleared the ball out of their circle.

With a minute left in the game, Duke pulled Steele, opting to add an extra attacker in an effort to get a third goal to drive the game to overtime.

The Blue Devils finished with 10 shots to the Terps’ six. Holliday made five saves, allowing two goals. Steele made one save, allowing three goals.

Maryland takes on Michigan next Friday in Louisville, Kentucky.