Noah Carter: Driven by faith

Feature photo courtesy of Dethan Moore.

Before every basketball game, Noah Carter of Dubuque Senior High School (Iowa) sets aside time to pray. The 6-foot-4-inch power forward was raised in a Christian household, which, he said, developed him into the young man that he is today.

“I’d like to give a thanks to my lord and savior Jesus Christ because without him, I wouldn’t be able to do anything,” Carter said.

Only a sophomore, Carter shows a maturity that is not usually found in players his age. Playing varsity basketball in his first two years at Dubuque, Carter is already a team captain. It’s a role he is more than excited to take on.

“It feels pretty good,” he said. “We have a real young team and we’re doing well this year and I like that because [in] upcoming years, we should be better.”

Playing significantly more minutes in his second year, he has doubled his scoring output from 9.4 points per game to 18.2 ppg, according to MaxPreps.

“This summer, my AAU team, we’ve been playing nationally,” he said. “We played tough competition so that helped me. Getting in the weight room, grinding in the gym. Getting that first year of varsity basketball down just really helped me, showing me what it takes to be good on the varsity team.”

Carter also acknowledged his older brother, Josh, as being instrumental in his basketball career.

“I look up to my brother,” he said. “We work out together, he helps me. I look back at what he did in high school. He won two state championships and I want to be like that. I want to win at the high school level and then get to college and go D1 and keep on getting better.”

“[Noah is] mature beyond his years,” said Joe Carter, Noah’s father. “He’s a sophomore and he has learned the game pretty fast because he had a chance to see his older brother win a couple state titles.”

Winning two state championships at Wahlert Catholic High School (Iowa), Josh has served as a model of success for Noah.

“We help each other but part of me wants to be a little better,” Noah admitted. “My goal is he got two state championships but my goal on the inside is to get three.”

“He got a chance to see the struggles and hardships of his older brother, but then he also got a chance to see the work ethic pay off,” Joe Carter said.

Noah Carter is already seeing the payoff. South Dakota State called his head coach to ask about him. For him, the chance to play D1 basketball would be on par with his expectations.

“My goal is to play D1 basketball and I feel like I can do that,” Carter said.

When he is not on the court, he loves spending time outside.

“I’m kind of an outdoor guy,” Carter said. “I like to fish and hunt. That’s kind of weird but that’s kind of my hobby because I live right on the Mississippi River. I like to spend time outdoors and do stuff like that with my family.”

He said these skills can translate to the basketball court too.

“They all encompass being patient, working hard, staying focused… and it’s the same thing with basketball,” Joe Carter said.

But everything comes  back to Noah’s faith, which he and his father have said is their source of success and foundation in basketball and life.

“I’m praying to God to give him some more height,” Joe Carter joked.

For now, Noah will attempt to lead his team to victory in their home playoff game against Waterloo West on Friday at 7 p.m.

Despite the early recognition, Joe Carter reminds his son to stay “humble and hungry.”

“I just want it and I have it in me,” Carter said about his motivation to get better. “If I don’t get [something I want], I keep on working for it.”

Edited by Maggie Gottlieb. 

Daniel Oyefusi

Daniel Oyefusi is a senior in the Philip Merrill College of Journalism at the University of Maryland, College Park. He is majoring in Multiplatform Journalism and minoring in Law and Society. This fall, he covered Maryland football for The Left Bench, a student-run campus publication. This past summer, Daniel worked as an intern at TMZ, specifically assisting in the TMZ Sports department. He has written for other publications, including Terp Magazine and The Diamondback, the university's student-run newspaper. He is also president of the Maryland Association of Black Journalists and Vice President of Media and Web Content for the UMD Sports Business Society.
About Daniel Oyefusi 90 Articles