Photo courtesy St. Christian's School

A first person look at the recruiting process by Nick Sherod

Update (11/25/2015): Nick Sherod has signed to Richmond.

The game of basketball runs deep in my blood. My dad played college basketball at Old Dominion University and my grandpa played at Virginia Commonwealth University. To say I was destined to play basketball is not a stretch.

I have always known I wanted to play college basketball, so having resources like my dad and grandpa have been great. They have prepared me for the hard work college basketball demands as well as the recruiting process.

While my dad has told me a lot about the recruiting process, every person’s situation is a little different. Some things have caught me by surprise. I was not aware of the amount of communication coaches would have with me. Twitter, Instagram, phone calls, texts and even FaceTime: coaches will try anything to get in contact with you.

I was also unaware of the competitiveness of the coaches. As I get closer to making a decision, the tactics some coaches use have become more aggressive. One school even had a PowerPoint that showed why the other schools that were recruiting me were not even on the same level as their school.

Sherod hopes to build upon his family's legacy as well as forge his own path at the collegiate level. Photo courtesy Corey Pegram.
Sherod hopes to build upon his family’s legacy as well as forge his own path at the collegiate level. Photo courtesy Corey Pegram.

The recruiting process is definitely a blessing, but it is also overwhelming and wearing me down a little. While I love playing basketball and am extremely blessed to have the opportunity to go to college for free, I am also a 17-year-old who wants to enjoy being a high school student. Sometimes missing consecutive weekends to take visits or getting multiple phone calls while hanging out with friends can be pretty annoying.

My original plan was to decide in May, but I broke my thumb and missed the April live period. Instead, I will most likely make my decision in August or early September, playing out the July period to get one final look around and then decide.

Right now I have 16 offers, with the University of Richmond, the College of William and Mary, Mount St. Mary’s University and George Mason University being the schools that are recruiting me the hardest. Honestly, I am perfectly fine with the schools that are recruiting me and would be happy to attend one of the schools that has offered me.

In a school I am looking for three things. First, I want to be a journalist or a sports radio or TV personality, so I am looking to attend a school that has a good journalism or communications program which will allow me to pursue my dreams.

Second, I am looking for a staff that I feel comfortable with. I want to feel like I am part of a family while I am on campus.

Third, I want to go somewhere I can fit into their system and where we can win. Both my dad and grandpa won a game in the NCAA tournament, and that is a dream of mine as well. I want to attend a school where I can win and compete at a high level.

As a player, my main strength is my ability to score. I am a pretty good outside shooter and my mid-range game is solid, too. I am also about 6-foot-5-inches and 200 pounds, so I can also use my length and size to score over the smaller two guards. I am a competitor and winning motivates me. I hate losing with a passion.

I am continuing to work on my defense and foot speed. As a two guard, I have to be able to guard the ball so that is definitely a priority moving forward.

As well as winning, getting better motivates me. The reason I play basketball is not for rankings or offers. My mom has always told me, “Your talents will make room for you,” so I’ve never worried about anything other than getting better. I play basketball because I love the sport and there is no better way to test yourself and see what you need to improve on than playing against the best competition you can.

At the end of the day my main focus is on winning and improving, because if I do those two things, the game of basketball can be a great vehicle, and I am willing to enjoy the ride as long as I can.

Chase Pyke

Chase Pyke

Recruiting Writer at The Left Bench
Chase Pyke is a sophomore multi-platform journalism student at the University of Maryland and a contributing writer for The Left Bench. From nearby Frederick, Maryland, Chase is a devoted fan of the Washington Capitals (he is still waiting to watch his beloved team play beyond mid-May) and an avid follower of the Nationals and Wizards. While in high school, Chase spent four years playing lacrosse and two years working on the school newspaper, where he found his passion for sports writing. Like Aaron Rodgers, Chase spent a year working on his craft at the junior college level before his talents were fully recognized by the local university. Now on a major college campus, Chase hopes to continue to develop and learn as much as he can along the way.
Chase Pyke
About Chase Pyke 25 Articles