Daquan Bracey’s recruitment is a change of speed

Update (11/17/2015): Daquan Bracey has committed to Louisiana Tech.

Even though Daquan Bracey’s plays fast, he has opted to approach the recruiting process slowly. The junior point guard from Baltimore, Maryland, currently has six offers and has drawn other interest. However, he has shown no indication of where he will play college basketball. According to Bracey, his recruitment is wide open.

The 5-foot-11-inch Bracey has received offers from Dayton, Georgetown, Kansas State, Marquette, Massachusetts and Towson. Several schools, including Louisville, have shown interest in the crafty guard. As of now his decision day is set for September 9, his mother’s birthday.

“My mother has meant a lot to me,” Bracey said. “I just want it to be a special moment for me and my mother.”

With Bracey’s anticipated decision months away, he has shifted his attention toward strengthening his game and preparing for his senior season at St. Frances Academy. He said his major goals for the year include improving his jump shot and winning a championship at St. Frances, something that eluded Bracey this past season.

Photo courtesy of Daquan Bracey
Photo courtesy of Daquan Bracey

During St. Frances’ run through the Baltimore Catholic League Tournament in February, Bracey helped lead the Panthers to the semifinals, all while playing on a sprained ankle, he said.

“I got my ankle rolled on before the first game of the playoffs then I tried to play with a sprained ankle but we lost,” he explained.

Despite the injury, Bracey maintained his production on the court. In his final game of the year, a one-point loss in double overtime to John Carroll, Bracey managed 11 points while shooting 100 percent from the field.

Bracey said much of his game involves running the offense and setting picks for teammates. As for his strengths on the court, he cited his ability to get to the rim, his vision and a high basketball IQ. As well as working on his jump shot, he hopes to become more of a vocal leader in the locker room and on the hardwood, he said.

Once he does decide where he will go to school, it will be where Daquan Bracey the person and basketball player feels most comfortable. Bracey said he is looking for a school with a healthy environment and a program heading in the right direction.

While mostly reserved about his recruitment, Bracey did admit he was surprised to receive offers from historic programs like Marquette and Georgetown. Georgetown is nearby, but Bracey explained proximity to home will not influence his decision.

With Bracey set to make a decision in five months, the attention and speculation surrounding him will gradually grow, but until then, he’s going to work on his jump shot.

Chase Pyke

Chase Pyke

Recruiting Writer at The Left Bench
Chase Pyke is a sophomore multi-platform journalism student at the University of Maryland and a contributing writer for The Left Bench. From nearby Frederick, Maryland, Chase is a devoted fan of the Washington Capitals (he is still waiting to watch his beloved team play beyond mid-May) and an avid follower of the Nationals and Wizards. While in high school, Chase spent four years playing lacrosse and two years working on the school newspaper, where he found his passion for sports writing. Like Aaron Rodgers, Chase spent a year working on his craft at the junior college level before his talents were fully recognized by the local university. Now on a major college campus, Chase hopes to continue to develop and learn as much as he can along the way.
Chase Pyke
About Chase Pyke 25 Articles